Friday, July 23, 2010

Just Add Ink #27 Layout + Faux Metal Tutorial



The following sketch is this weeks Just Add Ink challenge.
I knew, straight away, when I saw this layout what I wanted to do! It was just a matter of doing it - which is so cool cos that normally NEVER happens!


I have used Basic Grey for the actual card and the Faux Metal technique for the squares.

Here's a quick run-down on how I made them:
1. Stamp a piece of card a bit bigger than what you want to end up with, with Versamark.
2. Sprinkle Silver Embossing Powder and heat. (I used tweezers on the outer edge so not to burn fingers - edge will be cut down later on).
3. Wait til cooled and stamp over the top with Versamark again.
4. Sprinkle Silver Embossing Powder and heat.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 two more times, so you have 4 layers all up.
6. While the last layer of Embossing Powder is still warm, press into it with your selected stamp.
7. Walah!!! Cut your piece down to the size you want to get a crisp edge.

8. I got the cracked look by putting the piece into the freezer for just a few minutes, and when cooled, I bent the cardstock in several spots and enjoyed the sound of it CRACKING!!

The ribbon is actually Whisper White Taffeta ribbon but as I wanted black ribbon, I used Basic Black ink pad and a Sponge Dauber and rubbed colour into it. I used sewing machine to sew a running stitch along the top edge of the ribbon and pulled and gathered it - not my favourite thing to do - must practise.

post signature


stamps: always, picture this
cardstock: basic grey, basic black
ink: basic black, versamark
whisper white taffeta ribbon, silver embossing powder & heat tool, dimensionals

12 comments:

  1. Ooooh! I LOVE that cracked effect! I'll definitely be trying this one!! Gorgeous card too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love this one. Gorgeous, you've outdone yourself :o)

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great. I never succeed at the faux metal look, you make it look so easy!
    Gardenia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! Haven't tried this technique yet, will have to give it a go, looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so flippin' awesome!! Your brilliance doesn't astound me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this Tania, the embossing is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW factor, the faux metal and cracked technique what a great finished look. Love It.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card, Tania. The 'faux metal' panels look fantastic against Basic Gray.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're such a clever lady!! I really love how different this is Tania, such a super card!
    Keep up your outstanding work!!
    Smiles SHarnee :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terrific card Tania, I love the Faux Metal Technique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have tried the faux metal effect but never thought to combine it with the crackle effect - what a cool idea! well done for a cool as card!

    ReplyDelete

Really love reading your comments - thanks for taking the time! Tania

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...